Wednesday 26 November 2008

Playing with Millie......

Fiori.

As part of one of out university projects, we're doing Restoration and Reconstruction - and in my infinite wisdom, I chose a Roman glass mosaic plate that is in the British Museum, so the last few weeks have been research into the techniques.

I have to get some cane pulled, but meanwhile, I have been playing with ready bought murrini that I got off a certain auction site....

Here's a couple of examples:



The one on the left was made with "Tronchini" which are the large ends of pulled cane that are usually waste. It is about 2.5 inches in diameter. The one on the right is made from the murrini, and is only about 1 inch.

Now, for my project, all I have to do is sort out the correct coloured cane and then I can make a nice Roman plate!

No comments: